Tuesday, July 8, 2014

HOT DOGS REDUX

I guess the age-old adage “you can't teach an old dog new tricks” is absolutely false. Recently, while checking my e-mail I got diverted by some click bait article about hot dogs. Not just any article mind you, it was about a spiral dog. I clicked on the story and of course was taken to the story and a video to observe how to make a spiral dog. What will they think of next? If you would like to see that video you can follow the following spiral sliced hot dog link http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow-tips/119349/why-you-should-spiral-cut-your-hot-dog-for-grilling which will take you to the story.
Spiral cut hot dog
I was hooked. What could I do? That story opened a whole new hot dog world to me. You have to understand that hot dogs, as gross as some people find them, have been a part of my life since I was a child. I ate a lot of traditional Chicago style hot dogs in my time.
A Chicago Style Hot Dog
Could it be true? Has somebody made a better mousetrap? I decided to test this process out on my own. You only need a few things to make a spiral hot dog. You need a hot dog, a wooden skewer, a knife, and a grill. The concept is simple. Place a wooden skewer through the middle of a hot dog from one end to the other. That's not as easy as it sounds. If you go out a side of the dog just pull back and try again.
You probably want fries with that!
Once the skewer is in the hot dog lay a sharp knife at one end on an angle and roll away from you while pressing with the knife, keeping the same angle while cutting into the hot dog. You can only cut up to the wooden skewer which will stop you from cutting completely through. As you turn the hot dog away from you the knife follows the angle from one end to the other. When you're finished cutting the angle, remove the skewer from the hot dog and you will have a spiral sliced hot dog that stretches like a slinky from one end to the other. Just throw them on the griddle or grill and turn them so that they don't burn. They will expand in size as they cook.
You're going to need some steamed buns
You will either grill your buns or steam them. The choice is really up to you. I just love steamed hot dog buns. It's the way they serve them in Chicago. Tradition!
As you grill them they start to open up.
I sent a link for the spiral dogs to a friend. His immediate reaction or thought was another Chicago favorite, the Francheezie. "Why not?" I thought. So my wife whipped up some crispy bacon and heated a jar of Tostitos Salsa Con Queso.
In case you forgot what a traditional fast food Francheezie looks like.
To build a spiral Francheezie some changes needed to be made. No longer would I have to stuff my hot dog with cheese and then wrap it in bacon before heading off for the broiler, or deep fryer. No way! I was making a deconstructed Francheezie. I started with a steamed bun, added a strip of crispy bacon and then added one fully cooked and caramelized spiral sliced hot dog. I was 2/3 of the way there.
What's missing from this picture? I know Cheeeeze!
It was at this moment that my wife came forth with hot melted cheese. You can use any cheese really, even Cheese Whiz. 
Salsa Con Queso
How much cheese you ask. Say when. When pouring on the cheese, it filled in the caramelized spiral cuts of the hot dog like water seeking its own level. By Joe I think we've got it. Who would have thought that with just one click on the Internet a whole new world of hot dogs opened up to me.
You want a bite? Look at that!
Next time I will try adding some jalapenos.
How about chili cheese dogs? You can top these Francheezie's any way you like, except No Ketchup!How do you like your hot dogs. Leave a comment below.
 
© TMelle 2014

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea of having the cheese fill the spirals. Also, did you make the french fries in the photo? They look really good.

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than a nice cheesy wiener. Reminds me of the famous Superdog! Love, Gundie

Anonymous said...

You must love Francheezies! I think the Francheezie en croute on your 2012 post still has my vote.