Friday, May 17, 2013

Greek Style Gyros Sliders

Gyros with tzatziki sauce to go
I have to admit that I became a big fan of the Greek-style Gyros way back in the 60's. The problem is that not many fast food restaurants sell them where I live. One day while watching Alton Brown (I'm a big fan) on his Food Network show "Good Eats" making gyros on the barbecue rotisserie, I tried to make them on the grill but my cheap rotisserie couldn't support the weight of the meat and my first attempt at making gyros was a disaster. I called my daughter to help me perfect this recipe.  
Gyros slider ingredients
A couple of years later, when going through my slider phase, I bought a slider press and decided to try my hand at Gyros sliders. I knew that they wouldn't be the same texture as the meat from a vertical spit, but it was the taste that I was after. The recipe went through some changes to get to the end result. Dried spices verses fresh is always a challenge for me. 
Dried spices, fresh minced garlic, fresh chopped onions
On my first attempt I forgot that I had the slider press and made them into round, 2-1/4 ounce slider portions. I decided that I would serve two sliders per person.
2-1/4 ounce portions
Placing them on a grill or griddle is up to you. I think the griddle is a better choice to duplicate the crusty exterior of a true gyro. 
You're going to use some of the grease
To assemble mu gyros sliders I decided on finding mini pita bread rounds, which my wife found at Trader Joe's. I decided that heating the pita bread rounds in some of the gyros meat grease would replicate the way they make a fast food gyros.   
Pita bread rounds
For the toppings I decided to stick with the traditional tzatziki sauce, thin sliced onions and tomatoes. 
Toppings
INGREDIENTS
2        lbs.             Lamb, ground
1        med.           Onion, finely grated
1        tsp.             Garlic powder
1        tsp.             Marjoram, fresh
1        tsp.             Rosemary, dried
2        tsp.             Kosher salt
1/2     tsp.             Black pepper, fresh ground
as needed   Tzatziki sauce

Note: you can use the dried marjoram and rosemary if you prefer but let it sit mixed in with the meat for one hour before grilling. 

Test your seasonings
Always test your meat mixture for the proper taste. This is where you make your final seasoning adjustments. Fry one slider and adjust to your own taste.  
For the cooks. Last chance to adjust seasonings
DIRECTIONS

In a large mixing bowl break up the ground lamb. Using a grater, grate the onion very fine. Drain the onions into a fine strainer, pressing out the excess liquid. Add the garlic powder and onion to the ground lamb. Add the marjoram, rosemary, salt and pepper. Using your hand mix the ingredients together until well blended. 
Ready to make gyros sliders


Using a small scoop, measure your meat into 2-1/4 ounce portions and form into a ball. You should get about 16 portions. Form the portions into slider size patties. If you have a slider press this is much easier. 
My slider press

Sliders ready for the griddle
If not just make round ones and fry on the griddle. As you fry them, press down with a spatula to get more meat in contact with the griddle. Some of the grease will be needed to heat up your pita rounds. You can also use slider buns.
Enjoy
To check out Alton Brown's recipe for gyros or Tzatziki sauce go to http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gyro-meat-with-tzatziki-sauce-recipe/index.html


© TMelle 2013

No comments: