Friday, January 21, 2011

The Kartoffelklösse Project

Kartoffelklösse (Potato Dumplings)
I came from a background of German and Irish immigrants but most of the recipes in my mom's collection were from the German side of her family. My father's side of the family was 100% German, so my heritage is 1/3 Irish and 2/3 German. When my family gathered for dinner at my grandfather and grandmother's apartment, our meals consisted of food like pork roast, sauerbraten, rouladen, spaetzle, spinach, red cabbage, mashed potatoes, and  "Kartoffelklösse". Let's not forget gravy, and plenty of it. My family was fascinated with a potato dumpling. Not just any potato dumpling mind you, it was called "Kartoffelklösse" (car tough a klaza). As a child these dumplings took second place to nothing else that was served.

I know what you're thinking, what's a Kartoffelklösse? The Kartoffelklösse is a dumpling made from 1/3 mashed potatoes and 2/3 grated potatoes, or as I like to call it "the rule of the thirds." Hey I'm 1/3 Irish and 2/3 German. A coincidence? I think not! 

No comments: