Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Jello Project - Memorial Day

I'm talking a real retro comfort food and it's a dessert too!
Growing up in the 1950’s and 60’s, it was not uncommon to have some kind of jello on hand to be served as a quick dessert. Some I really liked and others I didn’t. It’s true, or real good marketing that “there’s always room for Jello.” In my opinion Jello is about as American as apple pie and certainly a comfort food.
Will you be my Valentine?
Generally if the Jello has some type of vegetables in it, I really don’t want to even try it. Fruit on the other hand does not bother me. It should be noted that way back
in the 50’s and 60’s the flavors of Jello available were very limited.
Today you can get almost any flavor that you can think of. In addition to the many flavors available today, there are also many more Jello molds available.
Old school retro Jello mold
One that I distinctly remember was an orange Jello with shredded carrots and pineapple in it. If that wasn’t bad enough, it was served with a mayonnaise topping. It was called a salad and not a dessert. “How could anyone screw up Jello?” I thought. The good news is that if you have water, know how to boil it, and have a refrigerator you can make jello.
Jello mix
When it comes to Jello and the holiday’s my sister always makes her famous lemon Jello. It is something that she makes better than anyone. A Thanksgiving without her Jello just wouldn’t be right.
Add boiling water and refrigerate. That's it! You made Jello
My wife changes her Jello recipes depending on her mood, but usually makes a spectacular multicolored jello mold with some kind of fruit in it. When it comes to summer holiday Jello, she can be a real firecracker.
Christmas tree Jello with whipped cream center
My wife's sister is famous in her family for her frosty orange gelatin dessert. This Jello reminds me of a Creamcycle. It doesn't get more retro than that. Similar to my sister's lemon jello, this one has wedges of Mandarin oranges in it. It really is a refreshing summer dessert.
Happy Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day.
My wife is always quick to ask why I bought something to cook in or with. When I bought heart shaped metal molds and a heart shaped cutter that she discovered hidden away, she only had one question. “What do we need these for?” When I served her heart shaped French toast in the morning and a heart shaped Jello for dinner on Valentines Day, her question was answered.
Heart shaped French Toast
For the Jello hearts it was just a 3.5 ounce package of Raspberry Jello made according to the package directions, and then poured into a heart shape Jello mold.
I guess I could have just bought a Valentines Day card.
How hard was that? To un-mold the cold Jello, hold them into hot water bath, being careful not to submerge it until the Jello releases from the mold.
Frosty orange gelatin
I’m sure that you’ve all had Jello before, but one day a friend of ours from England introduced us to “Junket” Pudding and Pie Filling Glaze. It is a Danish Dessert similar to Jello but a completely different texture. You can find these in 4-3/4 oz. boxes at most grocery stores with an international section. When was the last time that you made Jello?
Champagne jello
My daughter works in the pre-pack and catering department of a local high-end grocer. She has probably made more jello in bulk than anyone I know. One day I went to see her when she was making rainbow jello. When she came out of the kitchen her apron was covered in various colors of the rainbow. She looked like she just walked through a Rainbow Brite mine field. It's hard to get her to make Jello for me these days. 
In closing there are so many Jello recipes on the Internet, it's hard to determine who created them. Hats of to Jello! I also heard that Jello is good for making your nails grow strong. Making Jello is a fun project for parents and children. 
If anyone has the lemon or orange jello with shredded carrots, pineapple and mayonnaise topping, or any fantastic Jello recipe please leave it in the comments section at the bottom of this post.
PS. My daughter made the red white and blue Jello      
© TMelle 2014

No comments: