Saturday, January 11, 2014

Chili Cheese Dip and Cowboy PIe

In my last post I told you about our family favorite Chili Cheese Dip. I'm not sure who originated this recipe (Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Hormel) but we have been making it for many years. My sister said that she gave it to us and my cousin said that she gave it to us. My question is who originated the chili cheese dip?  
Chili Cheese Dip
INGREDIENTS
1   8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 15 oz. can Hormel No Beans Chili
8-19 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded

as needed Tostito's
NOTE: You may use any one cheese or blended cheese for your dip.  
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spread the softened cream cheese in the bottom of a 8"x8" casserole oven-proof dish. Remove the chili from the can and spread evenly over the layer of cream cheese. Sprinkle your choice of shredded cheese over the top. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly. Serve warm with Scoops or Tostitos.

DANGER: Let it cool slightly or you will be serving molten lava.
Cut a slit in wrap
Thaw in microwave
I received a comment from my cousin who told me to try her Cowboy Pie. Before making it I went on line and learned that there were many variations of this dish. Here is her recipe which is the chili cheese dip with a couple of new ingredients added to it.
Tamales cut into 1/4" circles
INGREDIENTS
3-4 Supreme Beef Tamales, thawed, cut into 1/4" circles
1   8 oz. cream cheese, softened
as needed milk to make cream cheese more spreadable
1 15 oz. can Hormel No Beans Chili
as needed mild & hot chopped peppers
8-19 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded

as needed Tostito's
NOTE: I used 1 (4.5 oz.) can Green Chile's, diced, drained  
Smash circles to make a tamale crust
DIRECTIONS
Defrost the tamales and cut them into 1/4" circles (coins). Place them in the bottom of an 8"x8" casserole dish. Press the circles with a fork to make a tamale crust. 
Cream cheese not softened enough
I was unable to spread the cream cheese without first adding a little milk until it was a spreadable consistency.
Cream cheese spread over tamale crust
Spread the softened cream cheese over the top like you were frosting a sheet cake. Open the can of chili without any beans and spread over the cream cheese. 
NOTE: Whip the cream cheese with a little milk so it is spreadable.
Chili spread over cream cheese
While the recipe calls for mild and hot chopped peppers, I used one 4.5 oz. can of diced green chile's which I drained. I spread a layer of the chile's over the No Bean Chile.
Spread green chile's over the top
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Shred the cheese and sprinkle over the top of the chile's. Place the casserole dish into the preheated oven. Bake until the cheese melts and the chile is hot and bubbly. 
Serve with tortilla chips of Frito scoops
What game day snacks does your family like? I am looking for a great authentic homemade potato pancakes (Latkes) recipe. 
© TMelle 2014

No comments: